Sunday, April 7, 2013

So This Is What All the Fuss Is About.


April 6, 2013

            What’s in a wine? I don’t have the slightest idea…well beside the grapes of course.  It would take a connoisseur to tell me what I’m missing.  Since a connoisseur wasn’t handy I asked my sister who has, over the years, developed a love for a good ‘Cab’.  I wanted to try a red wine because I’ve never particularly liked the reds. My first challenge was to find a wine for the tasting. I didn’t want anything expensive. 


We tried Old Vine Red from California.  






So the lesson began with opening the bottle.  


I learned that we needed to let the wine breathe.  This is achieved by allowing more air to reach the wine.  To help process we poured the wine into the glass from distance of several inches. Also the glass should be wide to have a larger expanse for the wine to, you guessed it, breathe. When you see a wine connoisseur swirl the wine in the glass they are allowing the wine to mix with the surrounding air to bring the flavor of the wine to the surface.

I did all that.

I learned you never judge a wine by the first taste.  Always take a sip and let the taste reach all of the mouth.  The wine overpowers the taste buds. Now I took a second. The second was much of what the wine was there to offer me. The bitterness was gone and replaced with a delicate sweetness combined with oak and…was it pepper? I’m not sure. I just know hidden flavors came forth to give mystery to the pleasure of the wine. Time mellowed out the wine even more and it became even more enjoyable.
           
After a few swallows of the wine we ate a piece of cheese. This gave the wine an even more interesting taste. Then I tried a piece of chocolate. The wine took on a bitter taste.

Now when I go out to eat I can order a glass of wine, perhaps a Pinot or a Merlot or a Cabernet, and continue this lesson. I can take a wine tasting class at a winery here in the Twin Cities or Napa or even France, (why not!) and look for the subtle differences in the bouquet. I am certainly not an expert but I know something of the science now.



What a wonderful second day of something new. I have learned what makes the true red wine enthusiast so enamored with something so lowly as a fermented grape. It is so much more than that. It is chemistry and enchantment.


Sincerely,

Jeanne Mulcare 

No comments:

Post a Comment